What is a "Blast"?
A blast is a one-time messaging campaign.
When should I send a "Blast"?
The following are examples of when you would send a "Blast"
- An upcoming event.
- A new product.
- Last-second promotion.
- General announcement.
- Really anything that would only need to be sent one time.
Navigate to the Blasts Section of the Patch Portal
Select the purple "+" button in the bottom right-hand corner
Before you begin:
Give your Blast a name
Note: The name chosen here will not be included in any of the messages sent and is for internal use only.
Select the type of Blast you wish to send
SMS/MMS or Email
Step 1: Recipients
In this step, you will segment the contacts that will receive the Blast.
All opted-in Contacts
Select this option if all contacts on the account should receive the message Blast.
Set filter rules to create a new segment of contacts to target with this Blast.
- Contacts matched: The number of contacts in your account that match the current filter rules. Use the refresh button to get the most up-to-date count.
- Use existing filter: use an existing filter previously saved in the Contacts section.
- Match ALL of these rules: Contacts must match every single rule set here to be included.
- Match ANY of these rules: Contacts must match at least one rule set here to be included.
- Limit to Specific Contacts: Select specific contacts to be included. Contacts must also match the filter rules set above.
- Limit Matches: Limit the number of random Contacts matched to the rules above.
Select from a list of contact filters that were used in recent Blasts. This list includes Blasts that have been sent and are in order of their send date and time starting with the most recent Blast.
Select from a list of filters that have been previously saved in the Contacts section. For detailed instructions on how to create a filter click here.
Tips and Insights
By default, a text/email will be sent to all "opted-in" contacts. For example, you may have 1000 contacts, but only 900 perhaps have given you permission to send them marketing messages. We consider those "opted-in" contacts. This message, by default, will go out to the 900 opted-in recipients.
Step 2: Content
Use this step to create the content for the Blast. This step will include either the SMS/MMS Editor or the Email Editor based on what you selected before you got started.
When sending an SMS/MMS message you can create content by 'Starting From Scratch', using a recently sent Blast, or using a Template.
SMS Content Tips
- You only get 160 characters per message sent, so use them wisely!
- Don't be afraid to abbr. (Proper grammar can be excused when you only have 160 characters).
- You'll get the chance to either start fresh or from a template.
- There are a ton of global templates in every account — suggestions based on what we've learned after sending millions of messages.
- You can also create and edit your own templates.
- The name of your business must show up somewhere in the text.
- By default, your short name will show up at the beginning of the message content.
- If you type it somewhere else then it will disappear from the beginning like magic!
- If you want to use a different Business Name, then update the "Short Name” set on the account
*Note: Your business name can be set at Account Settings --> SMS Settings --> Short Name.
- Use the "Insert" button to add a SmartText, SmartLink, or SmartOffer, or go back to select a Template
- SmartText: This allows you to dynamically insert customer data fields and smart date/time values. Say you wanted to say "Hey Billy" in your message, but obviously only to Billy! You can achieve this by inserting SmartText.
- SmartLink: This allows you to replace a URL with a short, measurable Patch link. Use this to see how many clicks you've gotten, or even track any users that click the link.
- SmartOffer: This allows you to insert a SmartOffer into the content of your message.
Note: SmartOffers are limited to users with the SmartOffer addon active on the account. (non-Shopify)
For detailed instructions on how to use our SMS/MMS Content Editor click here.
When sending an Email you can create content by 'Starting From Scratch', using a recently sent Blast, or using a Template.
For detailed instructions on how to use our Drag & Drop Email Builder click here.
Before finishing Step 2, for both SMS and Email always use the 'Send Test' button. This allows you to send a test message to your phone/email to preview the live results. This helps you catch some of those pesky little errors that tend to pop up.
Step 3: Schedule
Decide when you want to send this Blast.
- Right Now: The message will be placed in the queue as soon as you click Send Now
- Scheduled Time: This allows you to specify a certain date and time to send the message
Note: If you select a time outside of normal delivery hours (8:00 AM to 9:00 PM in the sender's time zone), you will see an alert message. This is just to confirm that this is what you want to do. As a general rule, consumers don't react well to being disturbed outside of this window.
Step 4: Confirm
In this step, you will have an overview of your Blast. Be sure to double-check that everything is set up as you expected.
Preview or Edit the content of your message created in Step 2: Content.
Scan through to make sure you approve of the content.
View the number of match contacts from your filter rules in Step 1: Recipients. Click Edit to go back to Step 1 and update the filter rules.
Double-check that it is scheduled to go to the right people.
View the send time selected in Step 3: Schedule. Click the EDIT button to go back to Step 3 and update the scheduled time.
Do you have it set up to go out at the correct time?
Click here to send your Blast!
Once everything has been approved, click the Send/Schedule button on the bottom right-hand corner.