Want to determine the Opt-In status of a particular contact?
This article will walk through how to determine a person's opt-in status.
- Go to the Contacts module to search and select the contact by clicking the 'person' icon or edit icon to the left of their name.
- After selecting the edit icon the Contact Profile will open.
- In the upper right corner of this window will be indicators of whether or not the contact has opted into SMS and Emails.
- Alternatively, you can determine their status directly under the Customer Profile section under the SMS On, and Email On status.
- The quickest indicator is by looking at their icons in the upper right corner.
Green checkmarks indicate they ARE opted in.
- Red circles mean they are NOT opted in.
- To change their status, click on the Edit option in the upper right of the Customer Profile window.
- Change the SMS On and Email On status by selecting from the drop-down menu options.
- SMS On = NO, to Opt-out
- SMS On = YES, to Opt-in
- Email On = NO, to Opt-out
- Email On = YES, to Opt-in
- Be sure to Save any changes made.
- You can confirm the changes by looking at their status, and also within the Activity Log.
The Customer Profile should reflect the updated information.
- If you feel your customer is not receiving your messages even though "SMS On" is "Yes", make sure you check to see if the field "SMS Bounce" is not currently set to "Yes".
- If "SMS Bounce" IS "Yes" that means we tried to send them a message but we got a response that our message was rejected.
Our system marks this as "Bounced" so they won't receive any future messages.
So if a contact has an SMS Bounce status as Yes, they will not receive SMS messages.
- What if a contact was opted in, but then they opted out by replying 'STOP'?
- When a contact replies with 'STOP', their service provider will then NO LONGER allow messaging to and from that number on their platform!
- In order for them to receive messages again, 2 things need to happen:
1. They will need to text in 'UNSTOP' to the same number
2. Their SMS On status needs to be changed back to 'Yes'
- As a reminder, you can always check the 'Activity Log' for the contact's profile.
You can see where, by default, the system will set their 'SMS On' Status to 'No' when texting in 'STOP'.
There will be an error notification for the default system message that goes out for ALL opt outs.
This is to be expected.
Again, be sure to manually change their 'SMS On' status back to 'Yes' to opt them back in!